The speed with which technology has transformed online shopping in recent years is phenomenal. Technological innovation has opened up new ways for online brands to engage their target markets, and consumer adoption of these new online platforms and devices has dramatically evolved online consumer buying behavior and expectations.
This new paradigm poses new questions for eCommerce businesses who want to better understand their customers, including:
- What other activities are competing for their attention while they’re shopping online?
- What are the most important elements of a great online shopping experience?
- What are the most frustrating factors that lead them to abandon their shopping carts?
We started this conversation earlier this year when we interviewed eCommerce executives to get their take on how to best address this changing landscape. We now continue it — but this time we turn the spotlight around to online consumers with our newly released survey report, which asked these questions and more from over 1,300 U.S. online shoppers.
The 2018 Online Consumer Study: Optimizing the Journey for Today’s Multi-Tasking Shopper reveals some thought-provoking insights on their habits, needs and deal breakers when shopping online. Key insights that emerged include:
- More than half of consumers make purchases while juggling other activities, such as work and household chores, and a large percentage are actually in brick-and-mortar stores comparing the same or similar products while browsing a retail website.
- 77 percent cite shipping and extra fees as the main reasons they’ll abandon a shopping cart
- 58 percent are likely to click on unauthorized injected competitive ads that offer a lower price
This survey also uncovered for the first time how online shoppers react when exposed to Customer Journey Hijacking. Respondents shared important feedback on what they would do when presented with competitor pop-ups and banners on the site they’re browsing, who they feel is responsible for those ads, and how those ads make them feel about that online brand.
Download the survey report today to gain more consumer insights and help identify how to better optimize their online experience.